Karadaiyan Nombu Adai is a very traditional dish and we make both sweet and savory adai for this occasion. I shared the sweet version yesterday and sharing savory version today.
Uppu Nombu Adai can be easily served as a snack or breakfast too with some coconut chutney.
- Rice Flour – 1 Cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Black eyed Beans/karamani/ Lobhia – 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Chopped Green chillies – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Bengal Gram Split/Chana Dal – 1 tsp
- Fresh Coconut – 2 tbsp (chopped into small pieces)
- Ginger – 1 tsp (finely chopped)
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Cooking Oil – 1 tsp
- Wash and soak black-eyed beans for 30 minutes. Boil it in some water for 5-10 minutes and keep it aside.
- Add oil in a pan and when its warm add mustard seeds and a pinch of asafoetida.
- When mustard seeds splutter, add chana dal, curry leaves, green chillies, ginger and taste for few seconds. Add water and salt to taste and bring it to boil.
- Add black-eyed beans and chopped coconut.
- Lower the flame and slowly add the rice flour to it and mix it thoroughly to avoids lumps. When it starts coming together, remove from flame.
- When it is warm ,grease your hand with oil/ghee and make small balls of it.
- Grease a plastic sheet and flatten the balls in a round shape and make a hole in center.
- Grease an idli plate and place these disc on it. Steam it for 8-10 minutes and its ready to be served.