Seppankizhangu Roast is another favourite veggie of mine. Its a simple stir fry veggie made with taro root which you can serve either with rice or roti. Taro root is also known as Colocasia and Seppankizhangu in Tamil. It is also known as Arbi in Hindi.
Taro root is roasted with spices and it is simply delicious. We usually serve this as a side dish with some sambar and steamed rice. So, try this scrumptious Seppankizhangu Roast today and enjoy..
- Taro root/ Seppankizhangu / Arbi – 500 grams
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Besan/Gram flour – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cooking Oil – 3 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Wash the vegetables nicely and boil it in water for 3-5 minutes. Do not wait till vegetable is soft or they will become mushy. Remove the skin, chop and keep it aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add gram flour, salt, chilli powder, turmeric powder and mix it well. Now add chopped taro root and mix it well.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and add 4 tbsp oil. Add mustard seeds and saute.
- When the mustard seeds crackle add a pinch of asafoetida and curry leaves and saute for few seconds.
- Now add taro root and roast them on medium flame. Make sure not to burn them, so keep stirring. Add salt and mix well.
- Serve it hot with some flat bread or rice.