Varagu arisi upma kozhukattai is a steamed dumpling made with kodo millet. Millets are high in fiber and minerals. You can serve them for breakfast or as a snack. I made these delicious dumplings for breakfast today and my family loved it.
You can watch this quick video to make this breakfast too. I have used baryard millet rice in this video but you can easily replace it with kodo millet.
Arisi upma kozhukattai is usually made with broken raw rice. Now you can make it with kodo millet rice which is a healthier option. I have served these Varagu Arisi pidi Kozhukattai with tomato chutney. So, sharing a detailed recipe and wish you all a great week ahead.
- Varagu Arisi/ Kodo millet – 1 cup
- Grated coconut – 2 tbsp
- Water – 2+1/4 cups
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Urad dal/White lentil – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Green chillies – 2 (chopped)
- Ginger – 1 tbsp (chopped)
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable Oil – 2 tsp
- Clean kodo millet rice and roast it in a pan on low flame for 5 minutes. Transfer it in a bowl.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds. When seeds crackles add white lentil, curry leaves, green chillies, ginger, asafoetida and saute till lentil turns golden brown.
- Then add water and bring it to boil.
- Once water starts to boil, add salt to taste and add roasted millet. Keep stirring.
- Once the water is absorbed fully, add grated coconut and mix well. Remove pan from flame and let it cool down.
- Take a fistful and form a dumpling.
- Grease an idli plate with little oil and place the dumpling on it. Steam it for 5 minutes.
- Enjoy these steamed dumplings with chutney.