This is a recipe for instant gooseberry pickle which I learnt from my mother. We call gooseberries as “Nellika” in Tamil and pickle as “urga”. This pickle goes very well with rice or even flat breads. I usually prefer eating it with some curd rice.
It is easy to make and requires minimum ingredients which you can get easily in the market. You can also check other pickle recipes on my blog:-
So, sharing the recipe for some instant gooseberry pickle and hope you all try it out and share the recipe.
Gooseberry Pickle / Nellika Urga
Recipe Type: Pickle
make an easy pickle with gooseberries!
- Raw Gooseberry/nellika – 15
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1/2 cup
- Sesame oil – 4 tbsp
- Fenugreek Seeds – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – a generous pinch
- Salt as per taste
- Clean and dry the gooseberries with a clean cloth.
- Add 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan and when its warm add gooseberries and saute on medium flame for few minutes.
- Close the pan with a lid and lower the flame and let it cook till gooseberries become soft. Keep stirring in between.
- When it cools down, cut it into pieces, remove the seeds and keep it aside.
- Dry roast fenugreek seeds on low flame for 2-3 minutes and powder it.
- Now add 2 tbsp oil in the same pan and add asafoetida and crackle mustard seeds.
- Add gooseberries, salt to taste, red chili powder, fenugreek powder and mix it well.
- Once it cools down, transfer the content into an airtight glass container.