Kuthiraivali Pongal is a delicious and healthy breakfast option made with barnyard millet, lentil and mild spices. Barnyard millet is high in fibre and rich in minerals. This is a recipe from my mother in-law who makes Venpongal using this millet and it actually tastes even better than the usual pongal which we make with raw rice.
So, sharing a healthy recipe and hope you all try it out and enjoy!
Kuthiraivali Pongal Recipe
Recipe Type: Breakfast
Make delicious pongal for breakfast with barnyard millet!
- Barnyard Millet – 1/2 cup
- Yellow lentil/Moong dal dhuli/pasi parappu – 1/2 cup
- Finely chopped ginger – 1 tbsp
- Pepper – 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Asafoetida/hing – a pinch
- Cashews – 10 (broken)
- Dry grapes – 8
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- salt to taste
- Soak barnyard millet and yellow lentil in water for 30 minutes. Drain water and set it aside.
- Heat cooker and add 1 tbsp ghee and washed millet and lentil.
- Add 2 cups of water and when it starts boiling close the cooker and let it cook for 2-3 whistles.
- When the pressure comes down, open the cooker and mash it nicely.
- Add ghee in a small frying pan and add pepper, chopped ginger, cumin seeds and saute for few seconds.
- Now add cashews, curry leaves, dry grapes and a pinch of asafoetida and saute for few seconds and add this mixture in the cooker. Add salt to taste and mix gently.
- Serve it hot with any chutney and sambar.