Kozhukattai or modak is Lord Ganesha favorite food. It is prepared for various festivals in India like Ganesh Chaturthi, Varalakshmi Vratam etc. I have already shared a detailed recipe for thengai poorna kozhukattai which is a sweet version. I’m going to share the recipe for Ulundu Kozhukattai today which is a savory version. These steamed dumplings are also known as kara kozhukattai or uppu kozhukattai.
Kozhukattai are also known as modak, Ukadiche Modak, modhaka or even kadubu. We call them kozhukattai in Tamil Nadu. These savory dumplings are covered with a rice dough and stuffing is made with Urad dal (white lentil). They are healthy as we use minimum oil and they are steamed dumplings. You can easily prepare rice flour at home. in few easy steps:-
- Clean and soak 1 cup of raw rice in some water for 45 minutes.
- Drain out the excess water and spread it on a towel to drain out remaining water from it.
- Dry grind it your food processor to make a rice flour. Sieve the rice flour twice, spread it on a newspaper and leave it aside for 15-20 minutes.
So, sharing the recipe for Ulundu Kozhokattai and hope you all try it out and share the feedback.
- Rice flour - 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable Oil - 2 tbsp
- Urad dal/white lentil - ½ cup
- Freshly Grated coconut - ½ cup
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Chopped green chilies - 1 tbsp
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Heat a heavy bottom pan and add 1 tbsp oil and 1 cup of water to it.
- When the water starts boiling, add 1 cup of rice flour and a pinch of salt to it.
- Keep stirring till it becomes a dough and remove from the gas stove. Knead the dough once with oil greased hands when the dough is still warm and keep it aside.Knead the dough once with your hand when the dough is still warm and keep it aside.
- Soak Urad dal for an hour in some water. Drain the water and coarse grind it with some green chilies.
- Steam this mix in idli plate or any vessel in pressure cooker for 5 minutes without whistle.
- Add 1 tbsp vegetable oil to a frying pan and when oil is warm add mustard seeds and a pinch of asafoetida.
- When mustard seeds crackle add curry leaves and saute for few seconds and then add the steamed urad dal paste.
- Add salt to taste and grated coconut and mix well. Transfer it into a bowl and make small balls of it.
- Take a little rice dough and make a ball of it. Press in the middle of the ball and start flattening it and form a cup. Place the urad dal mix in it and close it. Follow the same steps for rest of balls.
- Take an idli plate and place a wet muslin cloth over it. Place all the Kozhukattai on it and steam it for 6-8 minutes.