Maida / all purpose flour – 1 cup
Cooking Oil / ghee – 1 tbsp (at room temperature)a
Ajwain / Carom seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds/Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
water for kneading the dough (approx 4 tbsp)
Cooking Oil for deep frying ( I used sunflower oil)
1) Add mall purpose flour, cumin seeds, salt in a mixing bowl and mix it well.
2) now add the butter and mix it well. The texture will be crumbly.
3) Now add water little by little and knead to a smooth dough. Cover it with a damp cloth and set it aside for 30 minutes.
4) Divide the dough into 4 portions. Take one portion and using rolling pin, roll out the dough.
5) Cut into round or any shapes using a shape cutter. Poke some holes using a fork so that they do not puff while frying.
6) Heat oil for deep frying. To check if the oil is warm, drop a small piece of dough into the oil. If it comes on top immediately, the oil is warm for frying.
7) Gently lift the pieces using a spatula or your hands and add to the hot oil.
8) Fry on a medium flame until golden brown.
Drain the excess oil on a tissue paper and store it in an airtight container.
1) 1) Keep the flame on medium flame. You might have to adjust the flame or lower if the oil starts getting smoky.
2) You can also add red chili powder to make it spicy.