I had taken a recent short trip to Chennai and thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. I had fun meeting friends and chattering with them day and night. I’m talking about friends for life whom you know will stand by you forever. I’m not perfect but I love people who stay with me knowing the “real me” :).. So, I’m sharing something sweet today just to cherish friendship.
Rabri or Rabdi is a delicious made with thickened milk. I have already shared a recipe Gulkand rabri. I’m sharing another variation to make this dessert today using Mawa. Mawa or khoya is evaporated milk solid. I have used store bought mawa today but you can easily make it at home too. Check out my Mawa modak post and you can learn to make mawa at home. The kesar and cardamom in this dessert takes the dish to another level. So, sharing the recipe for Kesar mawa Rabri today. Try it out and you will love it..
- Milk - 2+1/2 cup
- Mawa/khoya/dried milk solids - 1 cup
- Sugar - ½ cup
- Cardamom - 2
- Crushed Pistachios - 2 tbsp
- Saffron strands - 10
- Soak saffron in 3 tbsp warm milk.
- Heat remaining milk in a wide pan.When milk starts boiling, reduce the flame.
- Add crushed khoya and let it simmer for 10 minutes till it is reduced to half the quantity. Keep scraping from the sides and stir well.
- Now add sugar and saffron. Mix it well.
- Keep stirring and scraping from the sides till it starts thickening.
- Remove from flame and let it cool down.
- Remove pods from cardamom, crush it and add it in the dish.
- Transfer into serving bowls, garnish with crushed pistachios.
- Chill for an hour and serve.