Its always a delight when my mother-in-law come to visit and gets me some home-made Maavadu. My kid also loves when grand parents are here as he gets pampered by them and I also get t0 enjoy their stay with us. This time also my mother-in-law brought some delicious Vadu Mangai which is made with raw tender baby mangoes.
How can someone resist these baby raw mango pickles! They are so good that I had to share her recipe with you all. Thank you Geetha amma for this wonderful contribution to my blog. Vadu mangai is also known as maavadu oorgai in Tamil Nadu. Baby raw mangoes are only available in the market during summer time. The process of making it is little tedious but worth all the efforts. So, check out the recipe and make this delicious raw mango pickle today.
- Raw baby Mangoes - 6 cups
- Red chili Powder - 1 cup
- Rock Salt - 1 cup (you can use normal salt too)
- Turmeric Powder - 2 tbsp
- Castor Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mix salt and turmeric powder and keep it aside.
- Wash and dry the baby mangoes with a towel and keep it aside. Trim the stems.
- Apply castor oil on your palms and rub it on the baby mangoes.
- Take a large pickle jar and add first layer of salt. Next add a layer of mangoes. Again, add a layer of salt and then mangoes and finally a layer of salt.
- Close the jar and keep it aside in a cool place. Do shake the jar once everyday.
- The mangoes would have oozed water by the third day.
- Now add red chili powder and shake it well.
- Keep it in a cool place for 10-12 days and shake the jar everyday.
- The pickle will now be ready for use. .