I just got back from a fabulous holiday at Thailand. The only sad part of a holiday is that it always comes to an end. Anyways, I decided to cook something easy today as I have so much many other work which have piled up. I remembered how my mom used to make this Avakai Oorugai Sadam and serve it with onion raita and papadam. So, I finally prepared this spicy pickled rice for lunch today.
I still have the stock of Avakai Oorugai which I prepared few months back. You can click here to check the recipe. These pickles always come handy whether you want to enjoy it with some roti or make an easy one pot meal. You will love the taste of spicy mango pickle in every bite. So, until I settle down from my trip to Thailand, enjoy this one pot Pickled Vegetable Rice today and wish you all a great week ahead.
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Avakai Oorugai – 3 tbsp
- Green peas – 1/2 cup
- Carrot – 1 (finely chopped)
- French Beans – 8 (finely chopped)
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Urad dal/white lentil – 2 tsp
- Asafoetida -1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Vegetable oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Pressure cook raw rice with 2+1/4 cup of water. Spread the cooked rice on a plate and set it aside.
- Heat a frying pan and add oil. When oil is warm, add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Now add white lentils, curry leaves, asafoetida and saute till lentils turn light brown.
- Add chopped vegetables (beans, carrot and peas) and saute for few minutes. Sprinkle little water and close the pan for 2 minutes.
- Lower the flame and add cooked rice, pickle and salt to taste.
- Mix gently and serve with raita.