I made these Tri-color mini idlis to pack in my kids school snack box. His school is celebrating Republic day and they asked him to bring some snack with a patriotic theme. I loved making these Vegetable idlis today and decided to color them in our National Flag’s colour.
I was born and brought up in Delhi and have participated in the Republic day Parade and this tricolor idly immediately rushed me back to those days of preparation for the parades. The parade showcases India’s wide cultural heritage and unity in diversity. We also participated in Rangoli competition, debates etc. I’m glad that I was able to participate in such activities..
My culture is my identity and imbibed in my personality and for that I have always felt proud being an Indian.
So, sharing a quick recipe to make colorful Vegetable Idlis today. I have used carrot and green peas to make Tri-color mini idli. You can even pin them in tooth pick to make it look attractive. Serve it with tomato ketchup or chutney.
Lets celebrate our culture with food today. Click here to learn to make Idli batter.
- Idli Batter - 3 cups
- carrot - 1
- Green peas - ¼ cup
- Vegetable Oil - 1 tsp
- salt to taste
- Peel and grate the carrot. Grind it with 1 cup of idli batter. Adjust salt.
- Microwave peas for 2 minutes. Grind green peas with 1 cup of batter. Adjust salt and consistency by adding water.
- Grease the idli plate with oil and fill idli plate with plain batter, carrot batter and peas batter.
- Steam it for 7-8 minutes.
- Carefully take out idlis from the sides and serve it with tomato ketchup or chutney.