Vegetable Pilaf is a rice dish which I have cooked in an easy way in rice cooker. This Pilaf or pulao is a one-pot dish which you can simply serve with some raita or dal of your choice. I always look for easy dishes to make during week days or if I have sudden guests at home. Weekdays especially morning time is always hectic as I have a kid who I have to get ready for school. I even have to finish preparing lunch by 8 A.M as I pack lunch for my husband which he can enjoy in his office lunch break. I do enjoy some free time afterwards and that’s when I plan my posts, check my mails etc.
I use basmati rice to make vegetable pulav and I prefer my rice to be non-sticky. Each grain should be cooked but it should not be sticky. You can even add vegetables of your choice in this dish. I enjoyed this pilaf with some rajma masala.
So, sharing an easy recipe to make some delicious, aromatic vegetable pilaf.
- Basmati Rice – 2 cup
- 2 Onion (sliced)
- 2 Carrots (peeled and chopped 1 inch)
- 8 French Beans (chopped 1 inch)
- Green peas – 1/2 cup
- Bay leaf – 2
- Black cardamom – 2
- Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Few mint leaves
- Salt to taste
- Ghee – 2 tbsp (vegans can use vegetable oil)
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Clean and soak rice in some water for 20 minutes. Drain the water completely and keep it ready.
- Add ghee in a frying pan and when ghee is warm, add cumin seeds, black cardamom, bay leaf, sliced onions and saute on low flame.
- When onions turn translucent, add green peas, carrot, beans and mix well.
- Add garam masala and mix well. Remove from flame.
- Firstly add rice in rice cooker with 4 cups of water.
- Now add the fried vegetables, few mint leaves, salt and mix well.
- Close the cooker and let it cook till indicator in rice cooker comes to warm.
- You can stir gently and garnish coriander leaves before serving.