Thengai Milagai Podi is a handy dish which you can use it as a dry chutney powder to serve with idli, dosa etc. You can even mix it with rice, drizzle some sesame oil and enjoy with some arisi vadaam or banana chips. I have already shared a recipe to make Idli milagai podi which is widely used in our South Indian homes. Thengai Milagai podi is another version where we use roasted coconut.
My blog is all about easy cooking, recipes and dishes which I experiment in my kitchen. I learnt cooking from my mom and some recipes passed on from my grandma, mother-in-law, aunts etc. So many fond memories, recipes and I love writing about it. So, here’s another easy recipe to make some delicious podi made with coconut, lentil and spices.
- Urad Dal/White Lentil – ½ cups
- Bengal Gram/chana dal – 1/4 cup
- Grated Coconut – 1 cup
- Red chilies – 12-15
- Asafoetida/ hing – ¼ tsp
- White Sesame seeds – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Sesame Oil/cooking oil – 1 tsp
- Heat 1 tsp of oil and roast white lentil, asafoetida and chana dal together until they turn golden brown. Transfer it in a plate and let it cool down.
- Roast red chilies in the same pan. Remove the roasted red chilies from the pan.
- Now roast grated coconut till it turns brown in color.
- Roast sesame seeds in the end and let all the roasted ingredients cool down completely.
- Add all these roasted ingredients with salt in your food processor and coarsely grind it.
- You can serve it with Dosa,idli as dry chutney powder.