My day started today by baking this Eggless whole wheat coconut cake. I had a restless night thinking about mom’s health and got up very early in the morning. I started picking up the toys and blocks which my little boy had spread all around in the living room. It has become my routine job now and I wish he would learn fast to keep his toys back in its place. I have been missing mom for last few days and how I truly wish that I could just go and give her a hug for all the struggles she has been facing fighting cancer. I have learnt so much from her and shared her recipes through my blog. She’s my role-model in life who has taught me to live life to the fullest..I wanted to do something to cheer me up. Cooking and baking always changes my mood and cheers me up. So, I decided to make a tea-time cake before my husband gets up and surprise him with something sweet in the morning with his morning cup of coffee.
- Whole wheat flour – 2 cups
- Fresh finely shredded coconut – 1/3 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Yogurt – 1 cup
- Water – 1 cup + 2 tbsp (you can add more to bring the cake to dropping consistency)
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Baking Soda – 1/2 tbsp
- Cinnamon powder – 1 tsp
- Green cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Cooking oil – 3/4 cup (I used olive oil)
- vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Preheat oven at 180 C. Sift wheat flour, baking soda and baking powder and keep it aside.
- Add sugar, oil in a bowl and mix it well until sugar completely dissolves. Add yogurt and blend it well.
- Now add all wheat flour slowly to the mix and blend it well. Add water and bring it to a dripping consistency. Make sure there are no lumps in the batter. Add cinnamon powder, cardamom powder, vanilla extract and finely shredded coconut and give a quick stir.
- Grease the cake tin with some oil evenly and add the batter to it and fill only half way. You can also use butter paper.
- Bake at 180 C for 45-50 minutes. Check after 45 minutes by inserting a toothpick at the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, then your cake is done or else continue baking for 5 more minutes and keep a watch on it.
- Once it has cooled down, invert it on a wire rack and let it cool down completely.
- Sprinkle some powdered sugar and enjoy with your tea/coffee.