Watch this video to make Mango shrikhand at home:
Shrikhand is one of the most famous dessert in Maharashtra. Shrikand is especially made for gudi padwa festival which is celebrated in Maharashtra. Gudi padwa is celebrated on the first day of the Chaitra month to mark the beginning of the New year. Shrikhand is served with poori on this auspicious day.
You will find many variations for Shrikhand and one of the famous one which is prepared in mango season is Amrakhand. So, sharing a the detailed recipe to prepare Amrakhand. You can enjoy this dessert for any occasion with friends and family.
Amrakhand - Mango Shrikhand Recipe
- 2 cups Curd
- 2 Alphanso Mango (1 cup mango puree)
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 10-12 Saffron strands
- 2 Green cardamom (powdered)
- 12 Pistachio (crushed for garnishing)
Place a strainer over a bowl. Place the muslin cloth and add the curd. Tie the cloth. Refrigerate for minimum 6 hours. The whey will settle in the bowl. Discard this whey and hung curd is ready.
Peel and chop mangoes and make a puree of the pulp.
Powder sugar and and set it aside.
Soak saffron strands in warm milk for 10 minutes.
Add hung curd and powdered sugar in a bowl and whisk it nicely.
Now add mango puree, saffron milk, cardmom powder and mix well.
Pour in serving bowls and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Garnish with pistachio and chopped mangoes and serve.
- You can adjust sugar according to your taste.
- I have used alphonso mangoes but you can use any variety.
- The whey can be used to prepare the dough for roti or you can even use it to prepare rice or add it to your plants.