Ridge gourd is a commonly used vegetable in South India and has many health benefits. It is high in fiber, aids in weight loss, purifies blood etc. The peel of any vegetable or fruit usually are packed with fiber and disease-fighting nutrients. So, instead of throwing them out, its ideal to use it in food which also helps in reducing waste. So, sharing an easy Chutney recipe which is a great accompaniment for Idli, Dosa etc.
- Ridge gourd Peels - 1 cup
- Shredded Coconut - ½ cup
- Green Chilies - 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Tamarind - a small lemon size
- Chana dal/ Split chickpeas - 1 tbsp
- White lentil / urad dal - 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Few curry leaves
- Sesame Oil - 2 tsp
- Wash the peels under water nicely. Add 1 tsp oil in a frying pan and add white lentil, a pinch of asafoetida and chana dal. Roast on low flame till they turn light brown.
- Now add green chilies, tamarind, ridge gourd peels, few curry leaves and and saute for few minutes on low flame. Add coconut and saute for few seconds.
- Transfer the content in a bowl and keep it aside and let it cool down completely.
- Add the content in your blender and blitz it until smooth. You can little water if you feel its too thick. Transfer it into a bowl and add salt to taste.
- Add 1 tsp oil in a small frying pan and add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds crackle add it into the chutney.