Matar kachoris are famous Indian street food specially in North India in places like Uttar pradesh, Delhi, Rajasthan etc. Kachoris are also made with moong dal or Urad dal filling. There is a sweet version of the kachori too which is made with coconut and sugar filling. One of my favorite is kachori filled with spicy green peas.
I have shared a step-wise recipe and pictures for it so that it is easier to follow while making it. I hope you all enjoy making it and enjoy street food at home.
Recipe Type: Snack
Serves: 10-12 kachoris
Make delicious kachoris for snacking with spicy green peas stuffing!
- All purpose flour/maida – 2 cups
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cooking Oil for deep frying – 1 cup
- Green peas – 1 cup
- Dry Mango Powder/amchur powder – 1/2 tsp
- Dry coriander powder/dhaniya powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Fennel Seeds/Saunf – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Besan/Gram Flour – 1 tbsp
- Ginger paste – 1 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Sift the flour and add it in a mixing pan along with salt and baking powder.
- Add oil (1 + 1/2 tbsp) and mix it well. You will get bread crumb like mixture.
- Add water little by little and form a smooth stiff dough and cover it with a damp muslin cloth and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Boil the peas in some water till they are soft and cooked. Strain the water and mash them coarsely.
- Add 1 tbsp oil and cumin seeds in a frying pan and when cumin seeds crackle, add ginger paste and fennel seeds and saute for few seconds.
- Add the boiled peas, turmeric powder, amchur powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, salt, gram flour and mix it well for few minutes on low flame. Transfer the content in a bowl and keep it aside.
- Make equal sized balls from the dough.
- Roll it in a round shape using rolling pin and add some of the stuffing in the center.
- Bring all the edges together and close it.
- Roll it carefully again to flatten it without breaking it and press on the center.
- Heat oil in a pan and drop a small piece of dough to the oil. If it comes immediately to the surface, then oil is ready for frying.
- Fry the kachoris on medium flame till they become golden on both sides and crispy.