Vendakkai / Okra – 8-10
Tamarind – Gooseberry sized ball
Shredded Jaggery – 1 tbsp
Sambar Powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Chana Dal – 1 tbsp
Curry Leaves – few
Dried Red chilly – 2
Salt to taste
Sesame Oil – 1 tsp
1) Soak tamarind in 2 cups of warm water for 30 minutes. Now drain the water in a separate bowl by removing the pulp.
2) Wash and dry the okar with a cloth. Chop them into 1/2 a inch sized pieces.
3) Heat a pan with cooking oil and temper with mustard seeds.
4) When mustard seeds crackle, add the curry leaves, red chilly, chana dal and sauté for a minute.
5) Add okra, urmeric powder and sambar powder and fry on medium flame for 5 minutes.
6) Add the 2 cups of tamarind water, jaggery, salt and mix it well.
7) Once it starts boiling, lower the flame and let it boil for another 5 minutes until it starts thickening.
Remove from the flame and serve it hot.