This is a healthy sweet dish which is usually made during festivals like Navratri as an offering for God. This can also be easily served as an evening snack and has goodness of both whole green and jaggery.
Whole Green Gram/Pachai Payaru – 1/2 cup
Grated Jaggery – 1 cup
Shredded Fresh Coconut – 4 tbsp
Cardamom Powder – 1/2 tsp
1) Wash and soak green gram for 4-5 hours.
2) Drain the water and cook it with 2-3 cups of water until soft and cooked. Drain the excess water and keep it aside.
3) Add jaggery with 1/4 of water in a heavy bottom pan and stir well until it melts. Strain the jaggery water and keep aside.
4) Add jaggery water in the same pan and keep boiling and stirring until it thickens slightly.
5) Add the cooked green gram and keep stirring until it combines with jaggery and thickens.
6) Remove from the flame and add shredded coconut and cardamom powder and stir well.
Serve it hot as an evening quick snack.
Smitha Kalluraya says
looks good.. havent tasted them
Rafeeda AR says
Meredith Elizabeth says
I don't know about Jaggery or Gram. What are their flavors?
Jaggery is sweet Meredith unrefined non-centrifugal sugar and Whole green gram is a lentil 🙂
Looks delicious, but no idea where I'd find those ingredients!
This looks really good. Is it sweet?
MonuTeena RecipesPassion says
it really looks yummy 🙂 do we add sugar n salt priya ?
Monu – I have added jaggery which is enough to make it sweet. So, no need to add extra sugar to make it sweet 🙂
This is something I had no idea about!! TFS Priya 🙂
yumm… i can feel the taste 🙂 will prepare soon 🙂