Parrapu Poli is prepared for Bhogi – the first day of Pongal. This dish is also very famous in other parts of India specially in Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Maharastra for Sankaranti. the names might change like puran poli, Holige, Obbattu or the way we call in Tamil Nadu as Parrapu Poli.
It is a stuffed flat bread where the stffing is made with a combination of lentil, coconut and jaggery. No dry flour is used to flatten it. We generally grease our hands and flatten the dough but you can also grease the rolling pin lightly and flatten it.
You can also watch this video to try another variation of it. We call it Thengai Poli as coconut and jaggery stuffing is used in it.
So, sharing the recipe and wishing you all a Happy Pongal and Sankranti!!!!
- Maida/All purpose floor – 1 cup
- Vegetable Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Turmeric Powder – a pinch
- Chana Dal/Bengal Gram/split chickpeas – 1/2 Cup
- Grated Jaggery – 1 cup
- Fresh grated Coconut – 1/2 Cup
- Cardamom – 2 (powdered)
- Ghee/Clarified butter – 1 tsp
- Clean and soak chana dal in water for 30 minutes. Pressure cook with some water till completely cooked and soft. Completely drain the water and keep it aside so that it cools down.
- Grind it along with coconut and cardamom powder in your wet grinder. Grind it until smooth.
- Now add grated jaggery and grind again.
- Heat a pan and add ghee and the grounded mix and saute it for 4-5 minutes on low flame.
- Once it cools down, take a portion of the stuffing and make lemon size balls.
- Add all purpose flour, salt and turmeric powder in a mixing bowl. Start kneading the dough by adding required water to make a soft dough. Add 1 tbsp oil and knead again. Now add 1 tbsp oil, knead and keep it covered for 30 minutes. Divide the dough into equal size balls.
- Now take a portion of the dough and flatten it with a rolling pin or hands. You can grease the rolling pin or yours hand with oil..
- Keep the poornam ball which we prepared earlier and close it. Flatten it again softly and keep it ready.
- Heat a griddle/tawa and slowly transfer the flattened poli onto it. Cook it on low flame till golden brown on both sides.
- Remove from the griddle and serve it hot. You can smear some ghee over it before serving.