Cabbe peas kootu is a simple South Indian vegetarian side dish served with rice, sambar, rasam etc. It is a combination of boiled vegetables with cooked lentils with coconut and mild spices. It is good for health and you can enjoy it either with rice or flat bread.
Cabbage Peas Kootu
Recipe Type: Sides
Enjoy a combination of lentil and cooked vegetables in coconut gravy with rice or flat bread!
- Cabbage – 2 cups chopped
- Green peas – 1/2 cup
- Moong dal dhuli/pasi parappu/yellow lentil – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Red chilly – 2
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dal/white lentil – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Vegetable oil – 1 tbsp
- Soak lentil for 30 minutes and pressure cook with enough water till lentils are soft and completely cooked.
- Add coconut, cumin seeds and red chili in your grinder and make a paste of it by adding little water.
- Boil cabbage and peas separately till vegetable are soft and cooked.
- Now add cooked vegetables along with coconut paste, salt and cooked lentil in a sauce pan.
- If you feel its too thick add little water and boil it once.
- Add oil in small frying pan with asafoetida, white lentil and mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds crackle add curry leaves and saute for few seconds and add this to the kootu.
- Serve it hot with rice or flat bread.