Semiyan payasam is an easy dessert and my little boys favourite. He loves it maybe because its noodle-like and he has a sweet tooth like me 🙂 🙂 ..Its a popular dessert in South India and even made on special occasions or festivals. It is made with Vermicelli which is fried in ghee and then added in milk. the sugar adds the sweetness and cardamom adds a lovely aroma to the whole dish. You can add some fried cashews , almonds and raisins. It tastes good both warm and chilled though I usually prefer chilling it for 2 hours. So, sharing an easy dessert recipe and hope you all have a great week ahead.
Recipe Type: Dessert
A light dessert made with vermicelli!
- Vermicelli/Semiya – 1 cup
- Saffron Strands – 10
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Milk – 4 cups
- Green Cardamom – 2 (powdered)
- Cashews – 10
- Raisins – 10
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Boil milk in a pan and keep it aside.
- Soak saffron strands in little warm milk.
- Add 1 tbsp ghee in a frying pan and fry few broken cashews and raisins and keep it aside.
- Add 1 tbsp ghee in the same pan and roast the vermicelli for a minute till they turn light brown and add boiled milk to it.
- Lower the flame and let the vermicelli cook in the milk till they become soft. Keep stirring.
- Add sugar, saffron strands and mix it well till sugar gets dissolved.
- Remove from the flame and add fried cashews and raisins and cardamom powder and mix it well.
- Serve it hot or cold.
It will start getting thick once it cools down. So, you can add more milk if needed. Adjust sugar according to your taste.