It’s a new week, time for new perspectives and I’m looking forward to share new things with you all. I’m kick starting this week with a rice dish from the state of Kashmir, India. I’m talking about Kashmiri Pulao which is an aromatic rice dish cooked with saffron and mild spices. The dish is finally garnished with fresh fruits and nuts.
So, this week starts with Kasmiri Pulao Recipe on my blog. I cooked it for lunch today and served with boondi raita and papad. I have cooked Kashmiri Pulao in rice cooker but you can also cook it in an open pan. I have used fresh pomegranate seeds but you can also add chopped apples, pineapple to this rice dish. So, make kashmiri pulao at home with this easy recipe and enoy..
- Basmati Rice - 1+1/2 cup
- Pomegranate seeds - ½ cup
- Cinnamon Stick - ½ inch
- Bay leaf - 2
- Black cardamom - 2
- Green cardamom - 2
- Cloves - 4
- Saffron strands - 12-14
- Milk - 1 cup
- Caraway seeds/Shahi jeera - 1 tsp
- Cashew nuts - 10
- Almonds - 10
- Raisins - 10
- Ghee - 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Clean and soak rice in some water for 30 minutes. Drain the water completely and keep it ready.
- Soak saffron strands in warm milk for 30 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp ghee in a frying pan and fry sliced onion till they are brown. Transfer these onions in a bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp ghee in same pan and roast cashews, almonds and raisins.
- Add 1 tbsp ghee in a frying pan and when ghee is warm, add caraway seeds, cinnamon, black cardamom, green cardamom, bay leaf, cloves and saute on low flame for a minute.
- Firstly add rice in rice cooker with 2 cups of water.
- Now add the sauteed spices, salt to taste and soaked saffron milk. Mix well.
- Close the cooker and let it cook till indicator in rice cooker comes to warm.
- Fluff the rice with fork, garnish with pomegranate seeds, roasted nuts and caramelized onions.