I love festival season as everyone is excited to wear new clothes, eat goodies and even the streets look all decorated. Food plays an important role in any festival for us. We Indians love to make both sweets and savories for any special occasion. Thenkuzhal Murukku is a savory snack which is usually prepared for Krishna Jyanathi or Diwali. These snacks are made in bigger scale as they stay good for upto three weeks.
Let me share something interesting before I share the recipe today. This will be more interesting for the bloggers who do photography for their blogs or clients. Props play a major role in blogging and I’m in awe with this custom board I recently got from Axl’s Little Shop. The custom board has been hand painted and I loved the finishing. Check out the collection of props and boards and I’m sure you will find something of your interest.
Check out the collection at their Facebook Page – https://www.facebook.com/axlslittleshop/
Coming back to today’s recipe, Thenkuzhal murukku is a snack made mainly with rice flour and ural dal flour (while lentil flour). You can prepare rice flour and urad dal flour at home too:-
Rice Flour – Soak rice in some water for 1 hour. Drain the water and spread it on a towel for 15 minutes. Grind it to a fine powder using your food processor. Sieve the flour twice and spread it on a newspaper for 15 minutes. Store in a dry container and use it to make snacks.
Urad dal flour – Roast ural dal on low flame for 2-3 minutes. Grind it to make a fine powder. Sieve the flour twice and spread it on a newspaper for 15 minutes. Store in a dry container and use it to make snacks.
You also need the snack press to make thenkuzhal murukku as shown in the above picture. We get this press easily in our local markets or you can even check it out in amazon online site. So, sharing the detailed recipe to make thenkuzhal murukku. Hope you all try it out at home and share the feedback.
Check out other snack recipes on my blog. Click on the names for recipes:
- Rice flour - 1 cup
- Urad dal flour / white lentil flour - ¼ cup
- Butter - 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Asafoetida - ⅛ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cooking Oil for deep frying
- Sieve rice flour, urad dal flour and transfer it into a mixing bowl. Add salt, cumin seeds, asafoetida and mix well.
- Add butter ( it should be at room temperature) and mix well.
- Sprinkle water and start mixing to make a soft dough and in the meanwhile heat oil in a frying pan.
- Use the 3 hole disc as shown in the step wise picture to make thenkuzhal.
- Fill dough in the snack press and press it slowly in circular motion on a oil greased plastic sheet.
- Slide them gently into the oil and fry them over medium heat till they turn light golden brown.
- Drain excess oil and follow the same procedure for rest of the dough.
- Let it cool down completely before storing them in an air-tight container.
Make this snack in batches. Keep the dough covered with a wet cloth.
Make sure to check if oil is ready. You can check by dropping a small ball of the dough in the hot oil and if it immediately comes on top, oil is ready.
****I received a free product from Axl little shop but the opinion shared are mine******Yum