I love pickles! I also love making pickles at home just like my mom or grandma. I guess some habits just pass over from one generation to another :).. My husband bought these gooseberries few days back and I have been thinking of pickling them but could not get any time. Finally, I got the gooseberries out of refrigerator today and decided to make Nellikai thokku.
Nellikai thokku is an instant gooseberry pickle. This pickle has a sweet and spicy flavor combination and goes really well with curd rice, stuffed parathas, theplas etc.. So, sharing the recipe for Nellikai thokku today. Hope you all try it out and share the feedback with me..
Nellikai Thokku / Gooseberry Instant Pickle
Make delicious, instant pickle with some gooseberries!
Author: Priya Shiva
Recipe type: Pickle
- Gooseberries / Nellikai - 20
- Red chilli powder - 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds/methi seeds - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Grated Jaggery - ⅓ cup
- Asafoetida - a generous pinch
- Salt to taste
- Sesame Oil - ½ cup
- Dry roast fenugreek seeds for 2 minutes on low flame and when it cools down grind it to a fine powder.
- Wash and wipe the gooseberries with a clean cloth. Scrape them and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add asafoetida and mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds crackle, add grated gooseberry and saute till they become soft.
- Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt to taste, jaggery and mix well.
- Keep stirring for few minutes till oil starts separating on the edges.
- Once the pickle cools down completely, transfer it in an airtight container.