Arisi Upma Kozhukattai or Pidi Kozhukattai is a popular breakfast in South India. These steamed rice dumplings are one of my family favorites and it can be easily served with some Coconut chutney. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I usually have a filling breakfast and end with a light dinner.
You can also add some grated carrots and other vegetables while making these dumplings. So, sharing another breakfast option and hope you all have a wonderful day. So, sharing a detailed recipe for Arisi upma Kozhukattai.
- Raw Rice - 1 cup
- Grated Coconut - 3 tbsp
- Water - 2+1/4 cups
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
- Bengal gram- 2 tbsp
- White Lentil/Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Chopped Green chilies - 1 tbsp
- Asafoetida/hing - ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cooking Oil - 1 tbsp
- Clean and soak rice in water for 30 minutes. Drain
- the water and spread it on a dry towel and let the rice dry completely.
- Coarsely grind it to break the rice and keep it aside. Do not powder the rice.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When it crackles
- add white lentil, Bengal gram, curry leaves, green chilies, asafoetida and
- sauté till lentil turns golden brown.
- Then add water and salt and boil it.
- Once water starts to boil, add broken rice and keep stirring. Once the water
- is absorbed fully, add grated coconut and mix it well.
- Switch off gas stove and let it cool down. When its still warm grease your
- hands with little oil and take a fistful and form a dumpling.
- Place the dumpling on idli plate and steam it for 5 minutes.
- Enjoy it warm with Coconut chutney.