Peas pulav is one of the easiest one-pot rice dish which you can enjoy with any curry or dal or a simple raita. It is seasoned with cumin seeds, bay leaf and black cardamom. Peas are known as matar in Hindi and that’s how it got its name as Matar Pulao. You can easily prepare peas pilaf in pressure cooker. I have served it with Rajma Masala and boondi raita today.
Rajma Chawal is my all time favorite for lunch or dinner. I have grew up in Delhi and that’s how I got hooked to eating it. My friends would bring them in lunch boxes and I would plead my mother to make the same for me. So, sharing an easy one-pot rice dish today.
Peas Pulav / Matar Pulao
Author: Priya Shiva
Recipe type: Rice
- Basmati Rice - 1 cup
- Fresh green peas - 1 cup
- Onion - 1 sliced
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Bay Leaf - 2
- Black Cardamom - 2
- Salt to taste
- Cooking Oil/Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Clean rice in some water and soak it in water for 20 minutes. Drain the water.
- Add Ghee in a 3 liter pressure cooker. When ghee is warm, add cumin seeds, bay leaf, black cardamom, sliced onions and saute till onions turn light golden brown.
- Add soaked rice, salt, green peas, 2 cups of water and mix it gently.
- When it starts boiling, close the cooker with the lid, keep the whistle and wait for 2 whistles.
- Remove from stove and open the cooker only when pressure comes down after minimum 15 minutes.
- Serve it hot with any dal, raita and pickle.