Sometimes a simple meal is what is preferred by the whole family which is comforting and healthy. So, today’s menu is a simple Parappu Kheerai Masiyal, Tomato Rasam with some steamed rice. Keerai masiyal is a mix of dal and greens/spinach together cooked with a coconut and other spices. One of the easiest and popular dish from South India is comforting, healthy and simply delicious.
Green gram lentil (split and husked) / pasi parappu/ Moong dhuli dal – 1/2 cup
Spinach – a bunch
Green chilies – 2
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Grated fresh Coconut – 1/2 cup
Asafoetida – a pinch
Salt as per taste
Cooking Oil – 1 tbsp
cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
1) Pressure cook lentil with enough water along with turmeric powder and mash it nicely once cooked.
2) Now wash and chop the spinach leaves and boil it adding half a cup water in a pan.
3) Once its cooked mash it nicely or blitz it once in the blender.
4) Take the grated coconut, chilies, cumin seeds and grind it nicely into a paste.
5) Take a pan and add this paste, mashed spinach, cooked dal, salt and a pinch of turmeric powder and mix it nicely. Boil it for few minutes.
6) Take a small frying pan, add oil, mustard seeds and asafoetida. Once mustard seeds crackle, add it to the cooked spinach dal and the dish is ready to served.