I always look for an easy option especially when I’m in a hurry to pack lunch for my hubby in the morning. Sometimes you will have sudden guests at home and you will be wondering what to cook as you would have just cleaned your fridge to stock fresh vegetables. This is one of the recipes that can be tried. I used to think that it will take a lot of time to fry the pakodas and then make a gravy for it but it hardly takes 15-20 minutes to prepare the whole dish.
Besan/ Gram Flour/ Chickpeas flour – 1 cup
Rice Flour – 1/4 cup
Dahi/plain yogurt – 3 tbsp
Finely chopped Onion – 1 cup
Red Chili Powder – 1 tsp
Green chilies – 2
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Methi Seeds/ Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Grated ginger – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Asafoetida – a pinch
Cooking Oil – as per requirement (I used canola oil)
Preparing pakodas :
1) Take a bowl and add besan, rice flour, onion, red chili powder and salt to it.
2) Now mix it well and add water slowly and make it into a thick batter. The batter should be runny.
3) Now heat 1 cup of oil in a frying pan and drop a spoonful of mixture and deep fry till they turn golden brown and crisp.
For detailed recipe of onion fritters/pakoras – Click Here.
1) Add 1 tbsp besan, dahi and 2 glass of water in a blender and blitz it so that no lumps are there in it.
2) Now take a frying pan and add 1 tbsp of oil to it. Add methi seeds, mustard seeds, asafoetida to it.
3) Once the mustard seeds crackles add grated ginger, chopped green chilies and curry leaves to it and saute on low flame for a minute.
4) Now add the curd besan mix to it. Once it starts boiling, add salt to taste and turmeric powder and let it simmer for few minutes.
5) Now add 8-10 fried pakodas and mix it well. Transfer it into a bowl and garnish it with some coriander leaves.
It can be enjoyed either with steamed rice or tandoori roti.
1) the gravy will thicken and pakoras will become soggy once you dip them in the curd gravy. So, I keep the cooked gravy ready and just add the fried pakoras before serving.